Saturday, April 5, 2008

Recent Adventure

Ok...While exploring with Render, I came across a dragon egg. I picked it up and it hatched. We watched as the tiny dragon unfurled it wings with a tiny yawn {revealing sharp, pointed teeth}. Its dull color quickly changed to a brilliant red. Its wings brightened to a fiery light-red color. It looked up with large, brown eyes. I stroked it and wrapped it in a blanket.

"Her name is Miya," I said, "And she's a minor dragon." Minor dragons are only as long as a grown man's forearm. They're not big enough to ride but each of them has their own special ability. Only time will tell with this little dragon. Render teleported us to a different climate, a warmer one.

"Could you ask her where she came from," he asked.

"The only thing she remember is..." I struggled to put into words what Miya was communicating, "A warmth, like a breath of light. Then a voice both like thunder and like a song." Ancalagon landed and Render said he had to leave. He gave me a book that was filled with pictures. Touch a picture and you teleport to that place. Then Ancalagon leapt into the sky with Render and they disappeared.

I flipped to the back of the book.
"No...you need to stay hidden...” I said to Miya. I tried to fit her under the large coat I was wearing without the dragon showing. I was able to pull it off if I kept a hand on my moving stomach. I pointed to a picture of a port city. A whirl of wind and light and suddenly I was in Tortuga. I approached a familiar tavern. When I entered the tavern an eruption of noise greeted me from the music a group was playing and the shouts from the brawling people. Ducking to avoid a bottle thrown over my head and jumping over a fallen drunk man, I approached the concierge standing behind a large desk.
"A quiet room away from prying eyes and listening ears," I said. The concierge looked at me with a sneer.

"Quiet costs extra," he said. I stared at him, my face hardening and my mouth twisting into a straight line.

I pulled out a coin and said in a low voice, "We both know this tavern is anything but quiet and the service is as bad as the ale. Therefore it deserves far less than any money I could give you. However, I'm going to keep my mouth shut about your terrible service and dirty rooms and even throw in a little extra for some privacy. As far as you know, I'm not here and I don't exist. You've never seen me in your life. Savvy?"

He nodded and said, "You drive a hard bargain." He took the coin.

"One thing, miss," he said as I turned away. I looked at him. "What's your name?"

"Remember?" I asked, placing another coin on the desk, "I don't exist."

My room was on the second story. The floor was grimy and the walls were tainted different shades of brown. There was a bed in the center and a couch on the far side or the tiny room. A small window showed the moonlight from outside. Miya squirmed and flew out of my coat. It had been torture for the little dragon to stay still so long. I took off my hat and my shoes, sat on the bed, lied down on my stomach, and propped up my elbows, resting my head on my hands. I watched the tiny dragon flying around the ceiling.

"What do you do?" I asked. I listened to the dragon's thoughts. Every dragon has a mental link with their owner, or the person who quickens them. Most dragons developed relationships with their riders, but minor dragons are too small to ride, most of them being the size of a large cat. Miya flew to me and rubbed her scaly face against my cheek. I stroked her chin, wondering what her talent was. Miya took the whole room in, wondering what the funny little blinking bugs were outside the window. She had an active mind and I had trouble keeping up with her. I sighed and rolled over. Miya flew and landed on my stomach. She spread her wings and looked expectantly at me.

"Well I can't help if it you're hungry," I said. Miya cocked her head to one side and made a small noise. I had to laugh. "Alright. What do you eat?" She flew off my stomach and waited until I sat up. She perched on her shoulder. "How am I supposed to know? I haven't ever raised a dragon before. Sure I've read books, but--" I listened to Miya. "Fireflies. They're not flying stars. They're called fireflies." I got up and unlatched the window. A few bugs flew in. Miya screeched gratefully and tried to catch them. I watched as she flew clumsily through the air. She managed to catch them and she ate them greedily.

I stretched and covered myself with the covers. Miya curled up by my head, a soft sound almost like a snore rising within her. I smiled and fell asleep.

1 comment:

Render MoonArrow said...

Cool.

I can't wait to add her to the stories.

oh and I also can't wait to figure out What power she has.

congratulations you Dragon keeper/crazy Pirate.